Saturday, April 28, 2012

Just So You Know

This is the time of year when I start to hear folks telling me that the United Methodist Church did this or the United Methodist Church 'officially' did that.  I call these items of misinformation.  I think the real term might be 'rumors.'  Here's why.

The UM Church is in the midst of General Conference where groups from all over the world will be presenting petitions about issues that they believe relate to our church.  NOTE !!!! The General Conference is the ONLY body that is able to take an official position for the UM Church.  Not individuals.  Not congregations.  Not preachers.  Not Bishops.  They may offer (or have offered) a legislative request called a petition.  Individuals, conferences and pretty much everyone might offer a petition.  These are considered by legislative committees (which most will have a representative from our conference) and a very small percentage make their way to the floor of General Conference.  We are in the midst of this process and petitions get brought forward by such a range of people that few political, social or theological positions get left out.

When petitions make it to the floor of the General Conference they are voted on by the entire body ... which because of our neighbors from Africa, Australia, South America and our own conference tends to be pretty resistant to major changes, especially those that challenge what would be a pretty traditional Biblical perspective.

So ... when you hear one of these legislative rumors, please realize where we are in the process.  No votes have been taken yet on these social, theological or political positions.  Additionally, be in prayer for all of the delegates that they will be led by God's truth and Spirit.  And if they proceed by God's Word and Spirit and it differs with my tradition, my politics, my desires or my social views, who is right?  As always, Jesus ... God the Father ... the Holy Spirit that reveals and unfolds truth.  So ... I will be ready to change anything that is out of sorts with what God has said.  David said, "search my heart and change me if needed ... on God's standard."  I think if we took this stance, we would all be better off.  So ... don't spread rumors!  We are followers of truth, reality and a very living God.  Pastor Randy

No comments:

Post a Comment