Wednesday, July 18, 2012

The Thrill of Victory

This Sunday kicks off our series on looking at Scriptural references to athletics.  We are both acknowledging the Olympics and remembering the numerous illustrations in God's Word about applying athletic principles to our faith journey (or race).  But we will be careful that our words will not stray from the meaning and application of Scripture.
When I was growing up I remember the commercial for the ABC Wide World of Sports (also what they ran for the Olympics) was "The Thrill of Victory ... the Agony of Defeat."  I always liked the video they ran for the agony part of the equation.  It was a dude crashing off the end of a ski jump.  It made me always note in my mind never to get on a ski jump ... this way I would avoid the agony part.
But I want this series (which will run until the week after school begins) to be positive so I will be speaking about the things we can do to be victorious in our faith ... in our lives ... in our walk (or race) of life.  The Bible has a lot to say about this and has lots of solid advice and applications which will help those of us who run the race slow or those who run fast.  To "kick" this off I am sending a link to a Max Lucado book called "You Are Special" (  http://www.aikentdc.org/You_Are_Special.pdf  ).  It will take you 10 minutes to read.  Will you invest 10 minutes in learning how you can live as a victor in a 'victim-mentality' world?  In the book the characters deal with some very real life issues.  Some characters in the book receive accolades for being fast, pretty, strong or being able to jump high.  Others receive bad marks (dots) that identify them as inferior, guilty, of poor quality, and losers.  I love the advice this book gives the main character ... "Go to your maker and find out what He thinks about you."  The Psalms use the word "refuge" 23 times, telling us that we have a place to go when we need victory over the things we face in life.  One of these (below) tells us a place of hope when we are surrounded on all sides and oppressed.  We go to our refuge (God) and to a source of hope (God's Word).

Psalm 119:114 ... "You are my refuge and my shield;  your word is my source of hope."

Read the Psalm.  Read Max Lucado's short story (and don't be too proud to read what you may think is a children's story).  Think about the characters in the Bible and in the story.  Which character are you now?  Which character do you think God desires you to be?  I believe that the thrill of victory isn't as far away as you think.  Scripture (Romans 10:8) says that God's Word is near ... that it abides on the lips of His people and in the hearts of the faithful.  It is not far away where we cannot see it or reach it.  It is a present help in times of trouble.  For victory, I encourage you to go there.  Listen ... hear ... follow ... live ... be victorious!  Pastor Randy

No comments:

Post a Comment