Sunday, July 29, 2012

Team Effort

As I watched the Olympics today I marveled at the events that involved teams.  Rowing ... volleyball ... basketball ... swimming relays ... even gymnastics.  Each person is a part of the event and each person's contribution is important.  Each person must pull their weight if victory is to be achieved.  Check this out:

"God's various gifts are handed out everywhere; but they all originate in God's Spirit. God's various ministries are carried out everywhere; but they all originate in God's Spirit. God's various expressions of power are in action everywhere; but God himself is behind it all. Each person is given something to do that shows who God is: Everyone gets in on it, everyone benefits. All kinds of things are handed out by the Spirit, and to all kinds of people! The variety is wonderful" 1 Corinthians 12:4-7 The Message


As I read this passage it reminds me of the team concept.  I love the part that says "each person is given something to do that shows what God is."  As I think about this I am reminded of the team effort we saw in church this morning ... if you missed it you missed a blessing of adults, youth and children modeling worship and showing us little reflections of God.  If you were there you know exactly what I am talking about.  I wonder ... what would our team ... our expression of God's goodness ... be like if we all played our part ... were present in the place to which we are called ... were actively saying, "What can I do today to make this the most amazing Sunday worship ever!"  One of our members said to me one day "If your pastor asks you to do something , you say yes if at all possible."  OK ... your pastor is asking you to do something. Honor God by participating in your church wherever possible ...using your gifts ... asking how you can be used by God.  The old song says ... "Spirit of the living God, fall afresh on me. Spirit of the living God, fall afresh on me. Melt me, mold me, fill me, use me, Spirit of the living God, fall afresh on me."  I think God would really be honored if we sang that song and really meant the lyrics.  What do you think?  Pastor Randy

No comments:

Post a Comment