Monday, August 6, 2012

Depth

Do you want our church to be a deep, lasting, loving and difference-making influence in our community?  I know I would be honored to be used by God in that way.  But to accomplish this goal, we need depth.

As I watch both US Olympic basketball teams I see other countries with some great players.  In the games with the US they hold their own for awhile and sometimes are able to get the upper hand.  But in the end (at least most of the time) the US is relentless.  How can we do this?  We have more good players on the squad than any other team.  We have depth.

Good News has depth.  We have loads of talented adults who could be part of our ministry team.  Sunday I spoke about Paul telling Timothy to "throw yourself into the game."  Our talented adults could do this.  They could come into the game and say "How can I help us win?  How can I be a part of difference-making for children and youth?  How can God use me in the battle for the hearts, minds, and souls of our children?"  Here's the problem ... to help the the team we must join the team.  Here are some places you can make our team better ...

Be part of our Joy Club ministry on Wednesday afternoons.  With your help we will be able to serve 80+ children each week ... at current volunteer levels we will need to turn kids and families away.  In Olympic terms we have the talent to be in the podium for a medal but without depth we won't be able to make the finals in an event God has appointed us to win.

So ... you aren't into children?  OK ... become a volunteer with our youth.  They will challenge you, grow you, frustrate you and bless you with their view of life and the world.  Our Youth Pastor is three volunteers short ... yet we know God has called us to field a winning team.  We have lots to do ... just not many willing to be used and be the doers.  Our depth needs your help.

I write this blog knowing that some of you will say "Yes ... somebody should help but I am so busy ... I sure hope someone helps Josh and Dayna."  Some of you will say (with your inaction) what is said so often throughout our county ... our state ... our country.  I would rather be home watching someone else invest and sacrifice for the 'win.'  I'll stay on the sidelines while others try to win one for the home team.

I want to leave you with a verse and a question.  The verse follows Jesus sending out his 'team' called disciples.  People liked the team and wanted to be part of the team, but on their terms.  Jesus knew that to have a 'team' He needed people who were willing to invest ... be led by the team leader ... be followers ... be willing to be used however they were going to be most useful to the overall goal.  I won't add commentary here ... I just ask you to think about how God would like to use you.  Here are Jesus' words from Luke ...
"As they were walking along, someone said to Jesus, “I will follow you wherever you go.” But Jesus replied, “Foxes have dens to live in, and birds have nests, but the Son of Man has no place even to lay his head.” He said to another person, “Come, follow me.” The man agreed, but he said, “Lord, first let me return home and bury my father.” But Jesus told him, “Let the spiritually dead bury their own dead! Your duty is to go and preach about the Kingdom of God.”Another said, “Yes, Lord, I will follow you, but first let me say good-bye to my family.” But Jesus told him, “Anyone who puts a hand to the plow and then looks back is not fit for the Kingdom of God.” Luke 9:57-62 NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment