Thursday, February 9, 2012

Cell Phones and Mountain Dew

One day as I hurried through life I learned several simultaneous lessons.  With my 44oz. Diet Mountain Dew, stoked on caffeine, multitasking while driving I tried one too many tasks ... answering my cell phone.  Don't know how it happened but my phone slipped from my hand and somehow made it into the 44oz cup of tasty sweetness, carbonation and citric acid.  I am not sure whether the moisture or the acid got through first but I learned your phone works about 7 minutes after such an event.  I also learned a few other things ...

"Enthusiasm without knowledge is no good; haste makes mistakes." Proverbs 19:2 reminds me that when I get caught up in the rat race, no matter how fast I move I am still a rat.

"It is safer to meet a bear robbed of her cubs than to confront a fool caught in foolishness."  Proverbs 17:12 reminds me that my lack of judgement sometimes makes me my own worst enemy.  I have learned that even well meaning Christians get caught up in self-righteous foolishness thinking that the voice of the Holy Spirit is clearer to them than to anyone else.  They seem to tell themselves that by quoting a bunch of Scripture they can 'prove' their particular take on a doctrine, thought great minds have searched the Scripture for thousands of years, coming to alternate conclusions.  And worse they are stuck on doctrine that isn't even foundational for salvation.  One of my professors describes these self-proclaimed experts like this ... "It is like a group of blind men in a cave searching for a bear that is really there."  Translation ... when they see God they might not like what they find.

Cell phones and mountain dew don't mix.  Real faith and divisive arguments over doctrine don't mix well either.  Proverbs also says, "Don't lean on your own understanding, but instead trust the Lord in your heart."
Good advice.  Simple, principled and perfect! Pastor Randy

3 comments:

  1. Hello.This article was really remarkable, particularly since I was browsing for thoughts on this issue last couple of days.
    (Price/Each)Opti-Logic 400 Yard Hypsometer And Laser Rangefinder With Internal Led Display

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope it helps someone. Sure didn't help my phone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for finding this and passing along!

    ReplyDelete