Sunday, February 19, 2012

Experience

As we begin the journey through Lent to Easter (Lent starts this Wednesday, February 22nd) I have spent the day reflecting over how long-time churchgoers often get confused and off-track.  I hear things like "oh ... that's Old Testament," dismissing something said because it came from the books written prior to Matthew.  I wonder if these folks bother to look into Scriptural quotes from Jesus, all of which were 'Old Testament.'  I hear other people speak negatively about certain topics because the topic makes them uncomfortable.  Again, these topics are often the subject of significant material from Jesus, the example Christians are supposed to follow.  I'm not trying to be negative ... only understand the behavior and Biblical knowledge of these people who have been in the church their entire lives and continue to make these statements.  Then it dawned on me ... the issue is one of experience.

I used to hire lots of people and would employ them in the business I managed.  Some were quick learners, knowledge seekers and curious to know new things.  When such an employee worked for me for three years, I would deem them to have three years of experience.  Others did the very minimum (if that) and resisted anything they were asked to do beyond the basics.  If I was unlucky enough to have that person with me for three years, he/she still only had one year of experience, just three times.  I believe this is the issue I often see in the church.  Biblical writers make this same observation.  Paul observes "I had to feed you with milk, not with solid food, because you weren’t ready for anything stronger. And you still aren’t ready," (1 Cor. 3:2).  The writer of Hebrews says "you have been believers so long now that you ought to be teaching others. Instead, you need someone to teach you again the basic things about God’s word. You are like babies who need milk and cannot eat solid food" (Hebrews 5:12).

During Lent I call each of us to travel in a state of humility, openness to teaching and an attitude of seeking God's will.  Let's grow in knowledge, service, worship, generosity and grace as God teaches us (through Old and New Testaments).  And let's allow God's word to do what God's Spirit always does ... blows where it will.  After all, God is not a tame God and we will not be in a true state of growth and grace until we accept Jesus' teaching ... all of it!  If we do that, what an amazing experience we will have as we are transformed from spiritual babies into mature, useful and productive Jesus followers.  Pastor Randy

No comments:

Post a Comment